Sunday, August 17, 2008

FARMER'S MARKET FUN

Saturday morning Terry & I went downtown, (or "Uptown", if you prefer) to the Farmer's Market. It was a great place for people watching and produce buying. We bought raspberries that really taste like raspberries and fresh green beans. I had an amazingly good Thai spring roll with peanut sauce and a fresh peach and strawberry tart for breakfast, washed down with refreshing organic mint tea. When offered a small bag of mint leaves for $5 I remembered I have mint in my tiny garden! I can make my own!
When we got home I made this angel food cake with whipped cream and the raspberries with a little mint from my garden garnish.. I made the cake with the intention of taking it to our home ward BBQ Sat. evening. The African Children's Choir would be singing for entertainment. Well, about 5:30 we decided to go for a walk on the Jordan River Parkway but on the way there, we decided to go up Big Cottonwood Canyon and check out Silver Lake, a short 3/4 mile hike. When we got there it was so pretty and the weather was so nice, we took the Silver Lake hike and then went on to take the 2 mile hike up the mountain to Twin Lakes. That was pretty much straight up all the way. But it was beautiful when we got there but of course no camera since we were only going for a little walk on the Parkway. Anyway, we didn't get home until the BBQ was over so ...Oh, No! we had to eat all the cake ourselves, which we were hungry enough to do!

7 comments:

Rowdy said...

You are both awesome! Fresh produce, hiking, snacks. What a great Saturday.

Mine was jiu jitsu, killing gophers, sodding the lawn, motorcycle ride, laundry, movie and grocery shopping.

Lezlie said...

your day sounds a little more exciting!

Tory said...

I took a nap! How is that for exciting?

That cake looks beautiful. I wish I could've ate some. How long did it take you to finish it off? 15 minutes?

Lezlie said...

As I have been known to scarf a whole cake up solo, more like 15 seconds

tenacious d said...

That's a nice-looking cake! It's good to hear that Terry's legs were feeling good enough for hiking.

Molly said...

I got to spend it tending to a daughter with a 103.4 temperature all day! Good times! Not all bad though, I also got to swim in Grandma Phair's pool in Medford with the boys. I was the sea monster that took them for rides all through the pool. Sweet!

Lezlie said...

Diane-well, he had a hard time towards the end, but I wouldn't let himgive up.
Molly-so sorry, but I bet you are as good a sea monster as you are the big pig.